The Remaining
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the Brave

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...

Go down 
+2
PoohBear
Forgefire_McCain
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Forgefire_McCain
Adventurer
Adventurer
Forgefire_McCain

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Empty
PostSubject: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm

Like so many good things this realization came to me while watching an episode of good eats. Now as many of you may know I happen to be rather fascinated with things like history, theology and mythology especially as it pertains to western and northern Europe. I am also one of those people who has always held true the idea that most of the things we attribute to the Greeks were not, in fact, Greek. Odds are good that most of you with even a passing interest in history are now ready to jump down my throat, but think about it for a moment. We may commonly accept that the Greeks somehow came up with ninty five percent of all good ideas in the past, well, ever or that they are the foundation for all western myth (I have even heard some argue the foundation for ALL polytheistic myth and religion though god help me if it hurts to hear it). But how likely is it really that they came up with all of these things, especially when so many of them lack any sort of 'Greekness' to them or have names that are not even remotely Greek?

Think about it. The overall culture of the various Grecko city states really was not that dissimilar from their celtic/protoceltic and Goth/protogoth neighbors, many of whom seemed to exist in small tribes that have been evidenced to be at least somewhat democratic. The Greek, like the Romans, French, Japanese and so many other empires seem to have simply been lumped in to taking credit for things that they had no real responsibility for simply due to success at one point. So what do you people think? Are the Greeks really the ubercivilization of the west? or are they simply the ones who got all the credit?

Last edited by Forgefire_McCain on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PoohBear
Joe the Plumber
Joe the Plumber
PoohBear

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:24 pm

its spelt yogurt.

i shall post on the actual topic subject later
Back to top Go down
Rock
Joe the Plumber
Joe the Plumber
Rock

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 am

Oh, no, the Greeks were clowns. And yogurt is Turkish.
Back to top Go down
Mysteria Kiito
Hero
Hero
Mysteria Kiito

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 am

lol I reloaded the Off topic page just as I grabbed a yogurt to find this topic had opened up.. Funny.
Back to top Go down
Tranced
Average Joe
Tranced

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Speaking as a half-Greek with one of the most Greek fathers there is, the things that you hear the Greeks did all depend on who they're coming from. We did some cool shit, yes, and for that (And the exaggerations in 300) people start giving us credit for other stuff that they think might be remotely related. We didn't do all of it, but all of those war stories about our wicked strategies... Yeah, those are true.
Back to top Go down
Tprime
DoubleAdventurer
DoubleAdventurer
Tprime

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:27 pm

What most people don't realize is that at the time, there was no unified Greece, there existed numerous warring(And peaceful) city-states, and there was no central "Greek" thinking center or any of that. And because of this, many neighboring places' achievements grouped in with them as the misconceived notion of there being one Greek empire ruling over them all.

And also, I spell it "Yogourt". Canadians are wacky like that.
Back to top Go down
http://Tprime.deviantart.com
Forgefire_McCain
Adventurer
Adventurer
Forgefire_McCain

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 11:56 pm

no, they had no real unification. Just as there is no unification in the Gauls, Goths, Turks or other regions at the time. The point still stands though that while I do buy that the Greeks did some interesting things, I also think that most of it was a combination of roman infatuation mixed with the roman penchant for taking EVERYTHING from every other culture and mixing it into their own rather than looking at it for what it was (Hence the screwed up view most people get about mythology and the assumption that most of it is 'Hellenistic' in nature.)

It just Urks me when people fail to realize that the Greek people didn't do everything, or when people like my dad assume everything stems from the Greek rather than realizing that many things though conquest were filtered though Olive-colored glasses so to speak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...   Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yeah, and Yogurt is Greek too...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Remaining :: Forum Activities :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: